EVIDENCE2e-Codex Linking EVIDENCE into e-CODEX for EIO and MLA procedures in Europe (EVIDENCE2e-CODEX)
This project, led by the Italian National Research Centre – Institute of Legal Information Theory and Techniques (CNR- ITTIG), is a fruit of the success of two prior projects that were co-funded by the EU: e-CODEX and Evidence.
The EVIDENCE2eCodex project aims to facilitate and encourage international cooperation in the criminal sector between the involved Member State authorities, by improving the conditions for a secure and fast exchange of electronic evidences in the European Union. The project will try to cross-fertilise stakeholders and infrastructure by making them ready to implement changes in handling electronic evidences and in exchanging them electronically.
The goal is to share with both legal and IT practitioners the availability of working instruments for digital cooperation in those European Investigation Order (EIO) cases that include digital evidence by:
• creating a legally valid instrument to exchange digital evidences related to Mutual Legal Assistance (MLA) and EIO procedures through e-CODEX;
• providing the legal and IT communities involved with ‘ready to use’ information on EIO, digital evidence and e-CODEX;
• developing a ‘true to life’ example of how electronic evidences can be shared through e-CODEX in a secure and standardised way to support MLA and EIO cases;
• developing first a theoretical approach for ‘large file handling’, if possible followed by a specification for practical implementation, as digital evidence could come in ‘large size’;
• producing an action plan and guidelines for EU-wide implementation of the ‘true to life’ example.
The project is carried out by a Consortium of 18 organisations from 10 countries.
K&I is specially engaged in the project activities aimed at identifying and mapping the stakeholders to be involved in public activities and meetings of EVIDENCE2e-CODEX.
EVIDENCE2e-CODEX: Interim Consortium Meeting
An Interim Consortium Meeting of the EVIDENCE2e-CODEX project took place in Vienna on 28 June 2018. The theme of the meeting was the status quo of the project. The initiative was hosted by the Austrian Federal Ministry of Constitutional Affairs, Reforms, Deregulation and Justice. Daniele Mezzana, on behalf of Knowledge and Innovation (K & I), presented the ongoing activities for identifying the stakeholders to be involved in the project activities.
Kick-off meeting of the EVIDENCE2e-CODEX project
On March 7-8, 2018 the kick-off meeting of the EVIDENCE2e-Codex project took place in Florence. The meeting was held at the CNR-ITTIG headquarters (the coordinating organisation of the project), and was chaired by the coordinator Mariangela Biasiotti, with the participation of the representatives of 18 partners from 10 countries. The EVIDENCE2eCodex project aims to facilitate and encourage international cooperation in the criminal sector between the involved Member State authorities, by improving the conditions for a secure and fast exchange of electronic evidences in the European Union. During the Florence meeting, the objectives of the project were presented and the activities to be performed were identified. Daniele Mezzana, on behalf of Knowledge and Innovation (K&I), presented and discussed with the partners the planned activities related to the identification of the stakeholders to be involved in the subsequent activities of the project.